August 18, 2012

From Potty Chairs to Happiness


6:00 am I wake up to, "Mom I have to go pee-pee."  It is Saturday a day to sleep in according to what I think Americans do, and I am being jarred awake by a 3 year old's bladder. I am more disgruntle because I am supposed to wake up earlier than normal to go to a work out at 9:30 am, a new routine I am staring.  My daughter sits on the toilet and then requests to be set up in the living room with a banana and the TV.  I will do anything for her at this time as long as she lets me go back to sleep.  So with guilt pangs I go back to bed.  I lay thinking to myself, if I was a good mom I would get up and start fixing a healthy breakfast for my family and get ready to go workout.  But back to sleep I go, not for long, I think I hear cries and jump up and run to living room only to find out nothing is wrong, she was laughing... not crying at the TV.  On my way back to bed I find out that I have awoken my 6 year old son, and he is on his way to the living room to join his sister.  More guilt builds up because  I do not offer him a banana, I figure he can get it for himself, he is old enough.  I climb back into bed, and lay there thinking about how much I want to bail on my workout.  But I know I would be beating myself up all day if I don't go. 

This is how my day starts.  I do eventually get up and make breakfast for myself and the kids, and a green smoothie for my husband.  I also go to my workout and end up being very proud of myself in the end, but during the entire workout I'm thinking to myself I might pass out, and why am I sweating so much, and was this really a good idea.  

And yes ladies and gentleman it was!

After a race home, to take a shower and get my son back in time to take his class, I went to the grocery store to pick up some missing items for dinner.  When I get back to my surprise my 3 year old daughter refuses to be left out of the family martial arts hobby and is training with her brother.  We have encouraged her to take class, asked her frequently if she wanted to join.  But her replies have been firm and clear that she wanted to take dance class.  Our response was, once she showed she could be good and take a martial arts class, then we would sign her up for dance.  Oh, and she had to use the potty all the time.  So one thing at a time, she accomplished the potty, and now she has begun MMA class!  I can only think that she has done this through the example of her family.  My son is always ready and excited to take his classes, Daddy always works hard training and makes it a point to make his classes fun.  And I have begun the journey back to fitness, and she watches me....she watches us all.  So without tears, nagging, or force she stepped on the mat and stayed for the rest of class.  

Everyday brings a surprise some are greater than others and some are not always good.  But as I slow down and appreciate myself for getting up, show pride for my family and pride for my daughter, my days feel full and rewarding.  Waking up at 6 am to help with a potty break is not my favorite way to start my day, but getting of to a good start is not always the most important thing.  Days are long, some are short, but finding a hint of joy in each one, and appreciating what you have will bring you that much closer to happiness.


No comments:

Post a Comment