August 15, 2012

Butterflies and Ice Baths



I am looking at myself as a butterfly these days.  Shopping, recipes, food costs, and menus consume me.  I cannot figure out why this is! Oh, I know... cause I'm a Health Coach.

Healthy has been my middle name without even trying for a very long time.  My mother was a vegetarian, I was not, but her healthiness rubbed off on me.  I hope it will rub of on my kids also.  But these days it feels like I am trying too hard.  Ever since I got married food has been a big deal.  Every since I started living on my own dime food has become something more to pay attention to, and then when I had kids watch out world I wanted to know about everything I was putting into my kids mouths.  Who knew my mother was spending so much money on me.

Eating healthy isn't supposed to cost more, but there is definitely a trick to it.   In fact if you're not buying too much or any meat it should cost less.  But studies show in the U.S. lower income regions have more chronic disease problems.  Seems to be you must have a better socioeconomic status to eat healthy, to keep yourself healthy. 

I am trying  hard to feed my family healthy on a budget.  I coach people on how to eat healthier.  But I myself am struggling, and I realize how hard it is, to feed a family with little kids in this fast paced life cheaply with food they will eat.  Kids can be picky... really?  First I ask myself is it healthy then I look at the price.

So these days I am trying to go from caterpillar to butterfly.  Money isn't so much the issue sometimes.  Sometimes I just want to cook one meal and have everyone like it.  I work really hard at this, and I do this for my clients.  I am also finding that I just gotta buck up and do some of the dirty work.  Drive to the farms to pick up the pastured chickens, or make sure to plan meals so I can fill out the forms for getting chickens and other farm raised pastured products delivered a week in advance.

Slow down and plan...

Although the caterpillar does not plan on becoming a butterfly.  I hope that I have over consumed enough that my switch is finally flipping and I am becoming a butterfly, and  being this will allow me to slow down and plan... and stop stressing about dollars and let that all fall into place, because I have planned and there will be no disasters that I can handle... anymore.

So this week I planned.  I went to the famer's market I have been trying to get to.  We had quite a bit left over from last week, so this week we didn't need much.  At the market I got some awesome olive oil; $20 for 2 liters and a 16oz. jar of local raw honey.  I was stoked and proud of myself.

It can only get better from here.

Please read other people who are participation in Project: Food Budget with me...





No comments:

Post a Comment