August 2, 2012

I Used To Be An Addict





I have a confession... I used to be a Starbucks addict.  I was a hardcore fan.  Not only did I buy there drinks but also their over priced cups and mugs, I still have quite a few left.  And I say left because when we moved out of the military we had to down size considerably and so did my mug collection.  They were beautiful mugs.  I loved the designs on them and was impressed but the color patterns.  Their mugs are not so pretty now, so that aspect was easy to break.  But the drinks...five dollar lattes and frothy frappes were another story.

It is one of the most addictive combinations, caffeine and sugar is like crack, honestly, some studies show it has the same chemical effect on the brain.  People don't guzzle soda because they are thirsty, nope they are addicts.  And Starbucks adds one more ingredient as if the first two aren't enough, CHOCOLATE.  I was hooked, line and sinker.  Then my panic attacks started and the caffeine had to go, but my dear Starbucks had other caffeine-free options.  So the pattern did not have to change.  They have sugar-free options if thats your choice, not for me, but it's there.  And you can get drinks without chocolate, there is something for everyone.

The pastries also got me.  Have you ever tasted their lemon pound cake, oh don't even try it, they are not that good....  But my panic attacks lingered and something had to give.  I was trying everything so gluten got the boot and the lemony cake went with it.  Instantly I had all this money,  I realized just how much money Starbucks was making off me.  I look down on smokers and wonder how they can afford it, when actually I had a very expensive habit of my own.  How prejudice was I?  So do I still visit Starbucks...yes, but only under someone else's suggestion,  or for a very special treat.  Otherwise I have developed my own frappe AND it tastes pretty darn good, it could pass for one of the menu items at you know where.  But my drink is sugar free, not filled with artificial anything, it has good protein, it's dairy free and I use raw cacao and honey giving you great enzymes... all this at a fraction of the cost.  I'm so proud!  So proud I'm going to share my recipe with you.  Here it is:

Cara's Frappe:

1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
4 drops vanilla liquid stevia
4 squares "Nib-more" chocolate chopped in small squares
1 tbsp. Raw cacao powder
1 tbsp. hemp seeds
2 medijool dates
2 cups ice
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. Raw honey

In your high speed blender blend 6 seconds on medium and then high for 7 more seconds.
Drink and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment