September 25, 2012

Do You Feel A Cold Coming On?




Everywhere you look stores are pushing the flu vaccine.  While I hate to say it, since my children have been born I have been vaccinated and have had them shot up as well.  I have never had any side effects but my husband always got very ill and since he has been out of the military has opted out of the shot.  He has not been sick since... go figure.  I had never really put much effort into resisting the shot except when the H1N1 vaccine was offered separately, then I gave all docs a firm "NO- thank you!'  We did not contract H1N1, but it is included in the regular flu shot, (sigh).

Like I stated previously, I've never had a reaction to the vaccine until this past season.  My daughter was potty trained over the summer, and while it was a much bumpier road to the potty train than my son had, once she was on she was ON!  She was full speed ahead and even trained herself through the night.
When she received the shot she had been fully trained for about 5 months.  For two days after the vaccination she peed on the floor on the way to the bathroom for two days.  Oh No,  I thought to myself what have I done.  I know the makeup of these shots and still give them to my children, knowing that  some parents would rather eat poop than vaccinate their kids.  I was such a terrible mom to put my kids in potential danger, I thought to myself.   The accidents did clear up like I said but it still made me think,   maybe I should trust myself more.

My kids have a great diet, I try very hard to make sure they eat at least 80% real food.  I am a health coach I know how to stay way from illness,  people pay me to tell them this.  Why don't  I trust myself to keep my kids healthy the way I know how.  Why do I need this "extra insurance" in the form of a vaccine to make sure my kids are healthy.   I suppose it comes from not being able to trust anyone.

I don't trust "big pharma", I don't trust my doctors 100%,  I don't trust all the hippy-dippy stuff I read on the internet, and I know I can't trust my kids to follow my instructions all the time...they are kids.  So I try to cover all my bases.  Can you blame me? (Yes, I know some of you could.)  But I have a gut instinct that tells me I am wasting my time with these shots even though I get them any way.

I know that if I follow these methods that I will tell you all about my family will stay healthy, safe, and chemical free the natural way.  Here they are:

1. Eat real whole foods. Eating a diet of fresh and cooked veggies, good fat, and a range of different proteins will keep you healthy, strong and full of energy.  Include more: ginger, raw garlic, lemon, raw honey, nuts, seeds, and live healthy probiotic foods will increase you immunity.

2. Get enough sleep.  You body will be able to defend itself much better when it is fully energized.

3. Keep away from your eyes, nose, and mouth, just like your mother used to say.  Unless you have just washed your hands, don't help those vicious little germs find easy ways into your body.

4. Stay away from crowds. I laugh as I write this one knowing it is impossible for most of us.  So make sure you are getting extra zinc and vitamin C during cold and flu season.

5. Stay Active.  This is my most and least favorite.  Sweating is a great way to get rid of the toxins that can help a cold or flu find a home in your body.  So find ways to move your favorite warm weather sports indoors or start planning to transition to your favorite cold weather sports.

6. Be Happy. Happy people are less likely to get sick.  Don't let the shorter days get you down, stay active in your community, laugh with friends, pick up lost hobbies, and make plans for the upcoming season of joy!

Last but not least.  Unless you are a special case getting the cold or flu is no cause to freak out.  Your body could be telling you to slow down and relax.  If you can detect it early enough paying attention to steps 1 and 2  can help you towards a speedy recovery.

What are your tips for staying healthy during cold and flu season?






No comments:

Post a Comment